Saturday, March 26, 2011

Fight Club (1999) - Eric Douglas Statzer

"I am Jack's complete lack of surprise."

This movie is simply a masterpiece in every aspect. The first novel written by Chuck Palahniuk, this script was snatched up by 20th Century Fox and green-lit to perfection. There is a brilliance in the writing, especially the narration of one unnamed protagonist portrayed by Edward Norton. A depressed insomniac on the brink of insanity, working a miserable white-collar, office job, and obsessed with his worldly possessions, he unknowingly develops an alter ego. (Brad Pitt) His counterpart explains himself as saying, "All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not." This is Tyler Durden.



The two men build an exclusive, global club, dedicated to loyalty and secrecy, which soon spawns into something much bigger than originally intended, Project Mayhem.

The direction is led by David Fincher, and is widely considered one of his best films, that's saying a lot considering his resume. This movie will leave you baffled at its magnificence. The editing and sound is constructed beautifully, the set direction is grimy, yet magnificent. The performances are equally explosive with a strong lead role from Helena Bonham Carter as Marla Singer, the love interest of the narrator. Supporting roles include Jared Leto, Zach Grenier, and Meat Loaf.





Fight Club will always be considered a "guy's movie." Plenty of punching, kicking, blood, sex, and rock & roll to match the kick-ass dialogue that's delivered throughout. This is a movie that you will watch countless times, the lines and quotes will undoubtedly become second nature. "And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Fight Club, then you have to fight."




-Eric Douglas Statzer

No comments:

Post a Comment